Monday, January 24, 2005

Battlestar Galactica

I'm watching the most recent episode of Battlestar Galactica, which I missed on Friday. I'm a little lost because I missed the mini-series leading up to it, but still I think they've done a very good job with it. Where the original series was somewhat campy (in an enjoyable sort of way), this series is a lot darker (and just as enjoyable anyway). Of particular note, I think the treatment of Balthar is excellent. In the original series, the relationship between the Cylons and Balthar was unlikely (to say the least); in this series, I find him fascinating from a psychological point of view. The interaction between Cmdr. Adama and Pres. Roslin is also quite interesting to watch. The fact that humans created the Cylons is slightly disappointing in that the "man vs his creation the machine" story had been done to death. (I guess it doesn't help that I'm currently reading The Butlerian Jihad.)

And of course, there's always an idiot willing to write a moronic review about the show, but I hope I did at least a little better than this guy. ("Galactica was originally an allegory for Western Civilization being bullied and burned in the same way we have bullied and burned other nations for centuries.")

No comments: