Monday, December 31, 2007

New computer

Just bought a new computer - dual 1.6 GHz processors, 1 Gig memory, 160 Gig hard drive, with one of those sweet 19" flat monitors ... all for $449. Incredible ... when I think about my first PC, a 7.16 MHz machine with 640K memory and a 10 Meg hard drive (might have been a 20 Meg) that I paid over $1000 for.

Of course, the downside is that Windows Vista sucks. It crashed within a couple of hours of me booting it up b/c I tried to format a CD-RW to store pictures on. After a couple of more attempts, I still have not been able to format a CD-RW correctly on it; I'm using my old PC for that. I would gladly trade in Vista for the reliability of the DOS 3.0 that came on that first machine.

2 comments:

ALD said...

My wife and I bought her mom a laptop. It doesn't shut down. The only way to get it to turn off is to pull the power and pop out the battery. I hate Windows! I hate Bill Gates! ARGH!!!!

ALD said...

"Up"graded the PC to Windows XP. Couldn't be happier.

http://dotnet.org.za/codingsanity/archive/2007/12/14/review-windows-xp.aspx